SL Athletic Department Hoping to Find “The Right Person” to Help Run Social Media

Amaya Wiseman, Reporter

About a year and a half ago, the Spring Lake Athletic Department had no social media presence. Today, they are active on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter (@slpsathetics), and with 727 followers on Instagram and 715 on Facebook. Due to Athletic Director JT Hogan’s hard work, a growing number of followers has provided an opportunity for a student to get involved.

As posts get more and more attention, Spring Lake High School’s Athletic Director and manager of the account, JT, hopes to bring in a student to help run the account. Social media experts recommended posting about 2-3 time a day to gain the more attention and followers possible, but as JT mentioned, there is just not enough time in the day. “I would love for students to be willing to take that over”, but with reward comes responsibility and it’s “a representation of our athletic department and school district”. 

Over 1.53 billion people are active on the social media platform TikTok, and because it is such a big platform, JT hopes to one day be able to run a Spring Lake Athletic Department account on it. Between all the sports, “there’s too many places for me to be at one time to do a TikTok”, and he is hoping to find the right student to work with him in building a brand new presence on TikTok. If any students are interested, please reach out to the Spring Lake Athletic Department.

As Spring Lake High Schools Athletic Director and manager of the account JT realized; The world is on their phones and Spring Lake has to keep up. Over the year and a half that the account has been active, JT has learned a few things about what to post and what not to post. “Anything that I think could be worthy of the newspaper”, that being said, recent posts have included the cheer team breaking the school record and signing days for student athletes. 

As manager of the account, and athletic director, JT hopes “when students follow it and then when they graduate, they don’t un-follow it”. His goal is to create a tight-knit community of alumni and current students through social media.