The Laker Anchor

Spring Lake High School's student-staffed publication

The Laker Anchor

The Laker Anchor

Seniors Dont Know How to Act - Graduation
Seniors Don't Know How to Act - Graduation
Lily Zuelke, Reporter • May 8, 2023

Welcoming Madison Hansen

The Spring Lake High School community has warmly embraced several newcomers, including Madison Hansen. She is Spring Lake’s new ninth-grade English and psychology teacher. Hansen grew up in Zeeland, Michigan, and went to Zeeland East High School. 

Hansen continued her education by attending Grand Valley State University. “I majored in English and Education and a minor in Psychology. That is where I met my boyfriend of almost four years since we had an education class together.”

Hansen not only loves to read and buy books but she also loves to “go to thrift stores/antique stores, and spend time with my friends and family.”

This job was introduced by Hansen’s mother who heard of the opening. “I had just graduated college, and was applying to as many positions as I could find.” 

“I didn’t even know where Spring Lake was when I applied”. This was an opportunity for a new adventure. 

Hansen said once she had her first interview she “really wanted the position.” She explained that Spring Lake High School presents a great opportunity for her. “ The environment seemed so nice, the staff was kind and supportive, and it just seemed like a great place to kick off my teaching career.” In the end, she was thankful that she got the job otherwise “I would have been very upset at the missed opportunity.”

After Hansen got the opportunity to teach she no longer had to work during the summers. She is excited to sleep past 4 A.M and be able to read. “ I used to spend my summer breaks working. I worked at a bakery from my freshman year of high school until just a couple weeks before school started, so I spent a lot of time downtown Zeeland making and selling donuts.’

Working with the student can be a handful but the most exciting times is “ interacting with the students and learning about their lives and personalities,” 

The Spring Lake community has welcomed all the new teachers and staff with open arms. “I am definitely looking forward to getting to know my students and talking to them.” 

The introduction doesn’t stop with Hansen. As we dive deeper into introducing each new teacher, Hansen has more fascinating facts to share! 

“My favorite book is Pride and Prejudice. My least favorite is Wuthering Heights. I have a twin brother. I used to work at the Laker Store at Grand Valley, and I did a little bit of modeling for them (and also got a lot of free merch).”