The Laker Anchor

Spring Lake High School's student-staffed publication

The Laker Anchor

The Laker Anchor

Seniors Dont Know How to Act - Graduation
Seniors Don't Know How to Act - Graduation
Lily Zuelke, Reporter • May 8, 2023

Club Spotlight : Rotary Interact

Valuing Service Above Self

What is the purpose?

Spring Lake High School Rotary Interact is a service club for all grade levels. As a junior version of Rotary International their mission is “service above self”, and encourage selflessness.

What events do they put on?

Interact organzies serverval fundraisers throughoutthe year, including donating Battle of the Bayou football tickets to Helen Devos and donations to the Peoples Center.

For the December fundraiser, SL Rotary Interact is teaming up with a local foster family in Muskegon, Michigan to furnish the kitchen of their transition home. The house is intended for kids who are aging out of foster care, but are still in need of support. The goal is to furnish the house with enough supplies that the kids can take some of the supplies with them when they eventually move out. Interact is accepting donations, both monetary donations and actual kitchen supplies.

How did it start?

Originally run by Ann Henke and __ Heavlin, the service club has been running for over a decade. Currently, Emily Niebor and Jennifer Guiterez are the teacher advisors, and there is a leadership team of primarily upperclassmen who help run meetings and events.

When are the meetings?

Although there is not a set date and time for meetings every month, each upcoming meeting is posted onto Schoology. With meetings before school and after school, they average at about 10-20 minutes per meeting.

How do I join?

If you are interested in joing SL Rotary Interact, either come to a meeting before or after school, or email one of the teacher advisors ([email protected] and [email protected])