The Laker Anchor

Spring Lake High School's student-staffed publication

The Laker Anchor

The Laker Anchor

Seniors Dont Know How to Act - Graduation
Seniors Don't Know How to Act - Graduation
Lily Zuelke, Reporter • May 8, 2023

New Coach, New Season

Boys Varsity Swim Team Takes 1st Place at Opening Meet

The Spring Lake Boys Varsity Swim Team has recently begun its winter season and is reaching high this year.

After only a week of official practice the team took first at the Ludington Relays Meet out of six teams in the Michigan Coastal Conference. In total there were 29 PRs broken over the course of the meet, as well as three state qualifying times achieved.

The team is under the instruction of Mick Homan, a new coach at Spring Lake who has been coaching swimming for over 35 years and is excited to be coaching the Spring Lake team.

“I have never experienced anything like this in my years of coaching,” Homan said. “There is so much energy at every practice and it pushes everyone to do better and build up others on the team. Often swimmers will talk to me or Coach Porter about what they can improve on after practice and they are very grateful to have our feedback. I am very grateful to be able to coach such a determined group”.

The team is also under the instruction of Brian Porter, who has been coaching Spring Lake’s boys swim team for multiple years. The team is led by the captains Johnny Wachter, Nathan Navarre, and Kyle Eacker.

The team also had a recent home meet against Grand Rapids Christian, the fifth-ranked team in the state, and 10th-ranked Otsego. The Lakers won against both teams with an additional 26 PRs with six MISCA cuts.

When Porter was asked what goals they have at the end of the season, he said, “I think we should easily place top six at the state meet. We have so many talented swimmers returning and new swimmers that are improving vastly as well. I am very excited to see how the season unfolds.”

Sophmore swimmer Lucas Williams said, “I feel we are a much tighter team this year. We all know each other outside of swimming and that makes a great environment during meets and practice.”

Tyler Nutt, also a sophmore, commented, “We have a lot of potential this year. The new coach has been great and I’ve really enjoyed the season so far.”

Alex Straus, who swam at the state meet last year, added, “We started off the season much stronger this year. We may not have as many people compared to last season but the people we do have are committed and putting the work in and everyone is improving a lot.”

The swim team’s next home meet is on January 6 at 9 a.m., and students are encouraged to come offer their support.