The Laker Anchor

Spring Lake High School's student-staffed publication

The Laker Anchor

The Laker Anchor

Seniors Dont Know How to Act - Graduation
Seniors Don't Know How to Act - Graduation
Lily Zuelke, Reporter • May 8, 2023

Club Spotlight : Business Professionals of America

Using Skills Outside of the Classroom

What is the purpose of BPA? 

Spring Lake’s Business Professionals of America (BPA) is a local chapter of the national organization that competes in regional, state and national competitions.  

Students freshman through senior select two events to compete in, either individual or with a team, and prepare their event for the regional competition. 

The competition events range from presentation events to research events to paper-and-pencil tests.

“All the events are super beneficial to prepare for college and eventually the workplace,” said Ann Henke, the co-advisor of Spring Lake’s BPA chapter.

What do the competitions look like?

All members compete in the day-long regional competition that takes place at Davenport University, typically towards the beginning of January. The top two teams, and top six places advance to the state competition. 

The State Competition is a weekend competition taking place at the Amway Hotel in Grand Rapids.

“The state competition is an awesome experience for students,” Hanke said. With a college fair, workshops led by professionals and a dance, “it takes them out of the classroom.”

From there, top three teams and top _ placers then move on to the national competition, which is a different location every year. The 2024 National Competition will be held in Chicago, Ill. 

How was it created?

Ann Henke has run Spring Lake’s chapter of BPA for 25 years. From only having 2-5 members when the club was founded, it has exploded exponentially throughout the years, with around 45 members the 2023-2024 school year.

“Once students get involved with it, they are obsessed with it,” she said. 

How do I join?

If you are interested in joining BPA for the 2024-2025 school year, attend the informational meeting in early September. The exact date will be posted on Schoology.