The Laker Anchor

Spring Lake High School's student-staffed publication

The Laker Anchor

The Laker Anchor

Seniors Dont Know How to Act - Graduation
Seniors Don't Know How to Act - Graduation
Lily Zuelke, Reporter • May 8, 2023

APES Students Propose Energy Changes to SL Admin

Starting off the new year right, the Advanced Placement Environmental Science class took action to conserve energy and save money.

Three sets of proposals, written by high school juniors and seniors, will be submitted to the Spring Lake Public Schools Administration. Proposals included adding solar panels to the roof, removing the vending machine by the gym and dimming the school’s lights. 

To begin the project, students used a meter that measured watts, or the amount of electrical power that a particular object emits. They then calculated from how much electrical power was emitted to the cost of watts. From there, they wrote proposals to send to the schools administration to save not only money, but also protect the environment.

“The purpose of the project was for students to realize how the small things that we do add up,” said Adam Reed, the AP Environmental Science teacher.

Students discovered that even the black boxes used for the sound system in classrooms can save up to thousands of dollars just by unplugging them. Even in the summer when they are not being used they are emitting electrical energy that can be prevented simply by unplugging them.

“Another part of it was taking some pride in your school,” Reed said. “A lot of the students really dug in and took pride in what they were researching.”