The Laker Anchor

Spring Lake High School's student-staffed publication

The Laker Anchor

The Laker Anchor

Seniors Dont Know How to Act - Graduation
Seniors Don't Know How to Act - Graduation
Lily Zuelke, Reporter • May 8, 2023

Club Spotlight: Quiz Bowl

Comradery, Competition and Challenge

What is the Spring Lake High School Quiz Bowl?

The Spring Lake High Schools Quiz Bowl team is a varsity and junior varsity team that competes in academic competitions related to anything from history to current events to science. In teams of four, students compete with a buzzer system to answer questions before the opposing team in order to earn points. After a bonus round, the team with the most points wins. 

When are practices and competitions?

Practices begin in the second trimester, typically early December, and take place every Wednesday. Following the Winter Break, competitions begin. Spring Lake faces off against schools ranging from Ludington to Fremont. 

To practice, members are given manuals to review with commonly asked questions during their free time. During the weekly, hour-long practice, the team simulates a match. A large part of the challenge of Quiz Bowl is buzzer speed. “You might know the answer, but while you’re still solving (the other team) beats you to it,” said Quiz Bowl adviser and high school history and English teacher Mike Ryan. 

How long has the Quiz Bowl Team been going for?

Ryan has been running the Spring Lake Quiz Bowl team since 2000. The club ranges in membership every year. This year, there are around 16 students who are actively participating in Quiz Bowl this year, both for varsity and JV. 

Why should I join?

“It’s a good way to get involved in the school and is a lot of fun,” Ryan said. With practices only being once a week and about an hour long, it breaks up the monotony of the second trimester while also not being too time consuming. 

What should I do if I want to join?

If you are interested in joining the Quiz Bowl team, attend a meeting next year at the start of second trimester, or email Mr. Ryan at [email protected]