The Laker Anchor

Spring Lake High School's student-staffed publication

The Laker Anchor

The Laker Anchor

Seniors Dont Know How to Act - Graduation
Seniors Don't Know How to Act - Graduation
Lily Zuelke, Reporter • May 8, 2023

Club Spotlight: Drama Club

Buidling Connections through Song and Dance

What is the purpose of the Drama Club?

The Spring Lake Drama Club is a collection of students who perform a play in the fall, twice in seven years, and a musical in the spring. Made up of singers, dancers, actors, actresses and tech crew, member Christina Koratich commented on the unique abilities to “build connections with the audience.” 

“Also, when you see people laugh, or cry, we tell a story and they get something and that’s really cool,” she said.

Fall of 2023, the Spring Lake country club put on “Game of Tiaras,” a spoof of Shakespeare’s “King Lear.” “It was a Shakespeare play, but then sort of modernized,” Koratich said. “It was really nice to like a traditional work like ‘King Lear’ and put it in a context that a larger audience can understand.” 

What other events does the club put on?

The Spring Lake Drama Club is completely self-funded because they are a club and do not receive school funding. Their biggest fundraiser is their “Egg my Yard” fundraiser in the springtime. Members of the community can purchase 30+ eggs and the Drama Club will stuff the eggs and hide the eggs.

“We like to do experiments instead of selling stuff like wrapping paper or chocolate, we want to give you an Easter Eggs Hunt or scavenger hun,” Koratich said. 

How long has the Drama Club been going for?

The Drama Club has been a part of Spring Lake High School for quite a while. Shaylynn Chapula is the current director and during her time the Drama Club has expanded to include the middle school musical, which is put on in the winter and summer. Koratich, an intern for the middle school productions, said, “It’s really nice that as an intern, I get to see the next generation and work with them and teach them things.”

What should you do if you want to join?

If you are interested in joining the Drama Club, reach out to Shaylynn Chapula ([email protected]) or Christina Koratich (@[email protected]).