The Laker Anchor

Spring Lake High School's student-staffed publication

The Laker Anchor

The Laker Anchor

Seniors Dont Know How to Act - Graduation
Seniors Don't Know How to Act - Graduation
Lily Zuelke, Reporter • May 8, 2023

Renewable Energy Coming to SLHS

Renewable Energy Coming to SLHS

Spring Lake Public Schools has signed an agreement with Michigan School Electric Cooperative (MISEC) and NorthStar Clean Energy to bring sustainable energy to power all of the district’s facilities in 2026.

The district’s initiative intends to encourage a greener and more sustainable life in our community starting with the schools. 

MISEC helped SLPS find and come to an agreement with Michigan-based NorthStar Clean Energy. They will provide reliable, reduced-cost energy from a nearby solar farm, which has begun being built. 

This agreement aligns with SLPS’s commitment to environmental responsibility and cost-effective spending, according to the district. The cost savings produced will allow Spring Lake to be able to invest more into educational priorities. 

David Theune, SLPS of Communications, expresses his excitement by saying, “We are thrilled about this step in the right direction in regards to our energy consumption. We understand this is just one step, but it is a step forward to being better stewards of our environment.”

The commitment is a milestone in the district’s goal of cleaner and more cost effective energy solutions. 

MISEC has been providing insight into the energy markets for Michigan school districts across the state, including competitive low-cost energy management services, for over 25 years. 

NorthStar Clean Energy helps organizations with sustainability targets find custom energy and carbon reduction solutions, including renewable energy. They also allow for educational opportunities centered around sustainable practices. 

For more information about either company, head to northstarcleanenergy.com or misec.org