SLHS Reacts to Uvalde Shooting

Anna McLean, Editor-In-Chief

May 24th, 2022, 11:33 am. Eighteen-year-old, Salvador Rolando Ramos, entered Robb Elementary school in Uvalde, Texas. Ramos ultimately killed 21 people, 19 of them, children. 

The gunman, a high school student in Uvalde, Texas, brought about yet another horrific school shooting to add to the seemingly continuous tally from our nation. In 2022 alone, there have been 27 school shootings. 

The horrifyingly similar nature of the Uvalde elementary shooting brings back many painful memories and emotions that were evoked during the aftermath of the Sandy Hook elementary shooting. The pain our country collectively felt for the children who fell victim to the unjustifiable actions of these gunmen is brought to the surface yet again. In light of this, The Laker Anchor opted to reach out to the entirety of Spring Lake High School to get a consensus on student thoughts and concerns regarding this recent shooting. 

When the poll closed, we had a total of 86 responders, and here were the questions they were asked: 

Do you feel safe at school: Yes – 70.7%

No – 29.3%

Do you think our school implements safety drills in an effective manner?

Yes – 51.9%

No – 48.1%

Do you think such news stories should be discussed?

Yes – 97.6%

No – 2.4%

Did you have conversations with your teachers/classes about the Texas elementary shooting? Yes – 27.4%

No – 72.6%

Did you have conversations with your parents about the Texas elementary shooting? Yes – 59.5%

No – 40.5%

Did you have conversations with your coaches/directors/extracurricular leaders about the Texas elementary shooting?

Yes – 9.6%

No – 90.4% 

Are school shootings something you are regularly worried about?

Yes – 45.2%

No – 54.8%

We also opted to give responders a place to share their thoughts on this subject, and some of the responses we got were gut-wrenching, to say the least. 

One student notes how distance might play a role in our thinking: “It’s crazy to think that it could have been someone we knew. It could have been our little brother or sister, but we don’t really worry about it because we feel our school is safe and we feel “far away” from the shooting. In reality, it could happen anytime, anywhere. I don’t think Spring Lake students (and even some staff) see it that way. In a parallel universe, it could’ve been our school. What if that kid had transferred here just before he decided to shoot up a school? It would certainly cause a huge change in policy. But since it happened 1400 miles away, no change is needed. Or at least that’s what people say.”

Another student comments on the necessity of implementing change in wake of a disaster like this: “I was having a great day. I was having a fun day. I was having a busy day. I didn’t have a chance to go on my phone until about 8pm. When I finally did, I was met with countless posts about the shooting. As we have learned more information, more posts have been made, seen, and shared. But sharing posts isn’t good enough. When I see House Representatives, Senators, or other State leaders tweeting about their “thoughts and prayers” all I can think is, “I don’t want your thoughts and prayers, I want your vote. I don’t want you to think about it, I want you to do something.”

One student offered that there is more that needs to be addressed in wake of shootings like this than just the gun the shooter used, stating that, “Guns are not the problem. Mental health of troubled students should be addressed more carefully. Certain teachers should be allowed to carry a concealed weapon and have proper active shooter training.”

Another student argued for the increase of security within our schools, and pointed out the discrepancies between funding for foreign affairs and those within our own country, stating that, “Since the gun free [zone] was passed in schools in 1990, school shootings have drastically increased. We just need more security. A gun doesn’t have legs that walk into a building and start shooting, it’s the person holding it. I feel terrible for these victims and families, but if we can send 40B to Ukraine for their safety, we can protect our own citizens, children being the most vulnerable.” 

Finally, the last response we will leave you with is a call to action from an anonymous student: “This needs to be a call to action for everyone. It’s heartbreaking and terrifying that elementary students are being murdered in our schools. We all need to do better and change needs to start now.” 

Looking at the data and commentary provided by our own students, it is apparent that at the very least we are all distraught over the possibility of school shootings. Seeing it manifest as a reality across the country, and with the regular worry of a school shooting sitting at a nearly 50% within our own school, I argue that something has to change. Almost 50% of students also reported that they do not think Spring Lake High School implements safety drills and measures in an effective manner. That number should be staggeringly closer to zero than it is. No parent or teacher should have to worry about the possibility of their child not returning home from school every day, and no child should have to worry that any day may be their last. The children in Uvalde never got to finish their 2022 school year. They didn’t get to have their summer class parties or walk at fourth grade graduation. Change at this monumental level will admittedly take time to implement, but we, as citizens, must fight to keep our children safe in the places we send them every day. It may be difficult to find common ground in a country so politically divided, but I know that we can all agree that keeping the youth and educators of our nation must be a priority, however we get there.