A Look Into the Upcoming Girls Varsity Basketball Season

Amaya Wiseman, Reporter

With the winter sports season approaching quickly, Coach Hyde discusses the upcoming 2022/2023 Girls’ Varsity Basketball season. This year’s season began November 14th and features 12 home games, the first being the highly anticipated game against Reeths-Puffer on December 2nd. 

The Girl’s Varsity Basketball team will have two returning players this season, Emma Nicles and Noor Boria, the team will also consist of seven juniors and three sophomores. “We have a pretty good mix, with 7 guards and 5 posts, and we will be able to push ourselves and practice pretty well,” said Coach Hyde. Hyde has been the head coach of the Girl’s Varsity Basketball team for 8 years and has been coaching lower-level boys and girls’ basketball teams for 25 years. 

This season, Coach Hyde has two goals for the team. First, to connect new players and establish new relationships among the incoming lowerclassmen with the upperclassmen players. 

His second goal is for the team to work their way up to eventually beating West Catholic, the two-time reigning conference champions. Last year, the Lakers tied for second along with four other teams. His long-term goal is to “get our name up on the banner” and beat West Catholic at districts. 

Upcoming games for the Lakers include their first home game against Reeths-Puffer on December 2nd, but the much more awaited game is against Grand Haven. The Girl’s Basketball team will face off against Grand Haven at Grand Haven on Thursday, December 22. The Girls Varsity Basketball team will play at 6:00, and the Boys Basketball team will follow them, playing at 7:30.