The Laker Anchor

Spring Lake High School's student-staffed publication

The Laker Anchor

The Laker Anchor

Seniors Dont Know How to Act - Graduation
Seniors Don't Know How to Act - Graduation
Lily Zuelke, Reporter • May 8, 2023

Club Spotlight: Astronomy Club

Shooting for the Stars
Club Spotlight: Astronomy Club

What is the purpose of the Astronomy Club?

“First and foremost”, teacher advisor Jonathon Reinhard says “it’s for those who are interested in learning about astronomy”. Further than that, it is a place for those interested in learning how to use telescopes, learn the constellations, and eventually photograph them. 

The major focus of the Astronomy club is their construction of a cardboard planetarium. The club received two grants from the Spring Lake Schools Foundation between 2022-2023 that amounted to $8,000. The grant money has been used to purchase new telescopes, astronomical photography equipment and around $400 worth of cardboard. Club members have been meeting weekly to work on building the planetarium and have a goal of completing it by the end of 2023. 

The planetarium will be able to be taken apart and put back together again, which makes it easy to transport. The Astronomy Club hopes to show it off to the district by going into the elementary, middle and intermediate schools and educate students on all things astronomy. 

What events does the Astronomy Club put on?

In the early Fall and late Spring, the Astronomy Club hosts “Star Parties” to utilize the telescopes and observe constellations. As Reinhard mentioned, in the Winter it is very difficult to find a good night to watch the stars because of clouds in the sky, which is what sparked the club with the idea to build the planetarium. 

How did the club start?

The club is still in its beginning stages, with a small, but dedicated,  group of members. The idea to start an astronomy club started with the idea to form a club to meet to learn more about astronomy and host events to watch the stars, but over the years it has started to progress into a club that is hoping to make astronomy more accessible, specifically in the winter. The group has around 8 members who meet every Wednesday after school to work on building the planetarium. 

How do I join?

Stop in Mr. Reinhard’s room after school on Wednesdays to join!