The Laker Anchor

Spring Lake High School's student-staffed publication

The Laker Anchor

The Laker Anchor

Seniors Dont Know How to Act - Graduation
Seniors Don't Know How to Act - Graduation
Lily Zuelke, Reporter • May 8, 2023

Unusual Guest Stays at Andres Home

Unusual Guest Stays at Andres Home

Homing pigeons are not a typical guest at Aarron Andres’s house, but never unwelcome. 

The week of Oct. 13, a carrier homing pigeon, which the Andres’ family affectionately nicknamed Sully, hunkered down at the house and refused to leave for a week. 

The Anderes family kept the bird in a cage, although \somewhat concerned for the birds safety with his cat continuing to stare at Sully “like Sylvester the cat looking at Tweety bird”

Despite a valiant effort to contact the owner via the band on its leg, they had no luck. Andres went to SLHS staff for help in contacting the owner. In his email, Andres asks the staff if there is anyone who raises pigeons, or would be able to take the pigeon in. 

The owner was discovered, and according to him, Sully was racing with 40 other of his friends from a small city in Indiana to Flint. Unfortunately, Sully hurt his wing along the way, and had to stop to recover and “heal up”, as Andres puts it.  

Of all 40 pigeons who were making the 450 mile long race, Sully was the only one with a slight bump in the road, or, sky. He is fully healed now and happy to be with his friends again. Sully was only just born this year, and is still learning.