The Laker Anchor

Spring Lake High School's student-staffed publication

The Laker Anchor

The Laker Anchor

Seniors Dont Know How to Act - Graduation
Seniors Don't Know How to Act - Graduation
Lily Zuelke, Reporter • May 8, 2023

Primary Elections – ALL that you Need to Know

Primary Elections - ALL that you Need to Know

Just as important as the Presidential Election every four years on the first Tuesday in November, is the primary elections. The State of Michigan’s Primary Election will be on February 27th from 7am till 8pm. Primary elections are for “figuring out which Democratic and Republican candidate we like the best to participate in the Presidential Election. It’s important”, as Dan Start, the AP Government and Politics and AP United States History teacher said. 

What is the purpose of a primary election?

Primary elections are put in place to narrow down the number of candidates in anticipation for the big general election (aka the presidential election). The candidates that win the primary election will be the Democratic and Republican candidates that have the possibility of becoming the next President of the United States. 

Who is on the ballot?

Democratic

Joseph R. Biden Jr. 

Dean Phillips 

Marianna Williamson

Republican

Donald J. Trump

Vivek Ramaswamy

Ryan L. Binkey

Nikki Haley

Asa Hutchinson

Who can vote?

Anyone who is older than 18 years old, lives in the state of Michigan and is registered to vote will be eligible. Additionally, the State of Michigan’s ballot is an open ballot, which means that voters can vote for either party’s candidate, regardless of their party affiliation. You can register same-day to vote in person up to 8pm on Election Day. Find more information about voter registration here

When is it?

In person voting will be on February 27th from 7am till 8pm. Early voting will begin February 17th and end February 25th. Absentee voting (aka. voting by mail) ends February 27th.