The Laker Anchor

Spring Lake High School's student-staffed publication

The Laker Anchor

The Laker Anchor

Seniors Dont Know How to Act - Graduation
Seniors Don't Know How to Act - Graduation
Lily Zuelke, Reporter • May 8, 2023

Club Spotlight: Art Club

Building a Community of Artists

What is the purpose of the Art Club?

Lauren Soave, President of the Art Club, wants the club to be a place to “connect other artists and provide a space for people who don’t have time for an art class to branch out.” Jeniffer Gwinnup, teacher advisor, brought up that Spring Lake is a very academic high school, and the art club is a place for students to come together, outside of school, to make art and socialize. Gwinupp said “I wish the whole school was like the art room. Project based creativity. Be yourself. And celebrate your weird gifts.” 

What events does the Art Club do?

The art club collaborates with the choir to put on Scones and Tones in early December (date TBD). The art club creates pieces to sell to the community, a great opportunity to buy Chrsitnas gifts and support young artists. Half of the proceeds go to the club, and half go to the artist. “I want students to know you don’t make art and just give it away, your time and talents are valuable,” said Gwinupp. 

The club then uses this money to plan group field trips. Last year, Soave planned a trip to the Frederik Meijer Gardens, and hopes to plan that again this year.

How did the club start?

Spring Lake High School has always had an Art Club, but it has substantially increased its membership under Soave. Soave restarted the club in 2021, as a sophomore,  and from then the club has grown to around 50 active members. Soave has begun to incorporate mini lessons into the weekly meetings, to give the members a chance to grow as artists. 

How do I join?

The Art club meets every Tuesday after school. If you are interested in joining the club, stop by on any Tuesday.